We have quite a few birds of prey at the Nature Station. In the wild they'll eat small rodents, insects, other birds, and even skunks. It's hard to recreate that in captivity so we give them dead mice and chicken necks.
Yup, chicken necks. We get a big bag of frozen chicken necks and have to let them thaw out. Apparently our birds are picky and their digestive systems don't really like the fat and skin from the chicken necks (I guess they wouldn't be catching too many chickens out in the wild). So we get to "process them". And that really just means going through all the slimy, gooey chicken necks and pulling the skin and fat off of them. Sometimes you even get a chicken head. I wasn't that lucky. Thankfully, I had Anna to help me.
While we were working on this we were listening to NPR. It was a food show and they were talking about tube steaks. Yum.
No comments:
Post a Comment