Monday, March 1, 2010

I'm Here



As of Friday I live in Kentucky and this guy lives in my neighborhood. And he's not friendly. But, to his credit, most bison aren't. I've been able to see quite a bit of wildlife here - we have about 65 bison roaming around, 26 elk, and eagles. I haven't had the chance to spot a bobcat. Land Between the Lakes seems like it will be a great place to have an adventure for a year. It's huge. I mean seriously massive. I live in the middle - about 35 minutes away from the nearest town. I'm living in an average size ranch house straight from the 70s (pictures coming) with two 25 year old boys. They've been showing me the ropes and are very friendly and seem to have a touch of that southern hospitality. I live in a small "intern village" with about 5 houses total and each one has about 3 people. My roommates were nice enough to inform me that it can get very much like high school with the drama. They said they try to stay out of it and I let them know I'll try to stay out of it too. But, it may be fun to observe.
Tomorrow is my first day of work at Brandon Springs. For the first few months here I get to teach outdoor education programs to kids that come and visit for field trips. After that I get to work with the public visitors that come to the park. Seems like it will be a lot of different things. I'm excited and nervous. Lots of things to learn and gotta work on my "y'all".
So, this is my first time doing a blog thing and we'll see how it goes. And I don't have internet yet where I live (I travel into the nearest town) so I may not update as much as I'd like but we'll see. Hope you enjoy :)

6 comments:

  1. When do you learn how to make moonshine and possum fritters? Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTONKA!!!!!!!!!!
    Umm forget pictures of the house. How about pictures of the boys =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyt, that sounds awesome!!!!! I'm really proud of you for doing this. It's cool and you're going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! Have fun and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. I'll try to get some pictures of people out - but I need their permission of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Joy, hope you get this because I don't
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete